The abandoned mill buildings in Toulon date from 1892. The main building housed a ball mill used to process tungsten as well as precious metals.
The hillsides west of Soldier Meadows Ranch rise up gently to the Applegate emigrant trail up through High Rock Canyon. Along the way there are several hot spring features that must’ve been a welcome respite for the emigrants in their wagon trains.
When the Hotel Nevada in Ely was completed in 1929, owners claimed it to be the tallest building in Nevada – at six stories. Rooms rented for $1.50 and up, “All with private toilet; 85% with private bath.”
Established in 1905, the First Presbyterian Church of Lamoille was in decline thirty years later. By the mid 1950s, attendance dwindling, the Nevada Presbytery dissolved the congregation.
On the morning of February 21, 2008, a 6.0 earthquake devastated the town’s historic Front Street district. Some twenty buildings were damaged, perhaps beyond repair.
The underground Gabbs test was planned for early 1993 at the Nevada Test Site, but it was cancelled when a moratorium on testing came into effect in October 1992.
Discovered in 1869, the rich veins of silver and gold at Ruby Hill soon attracted enough miners to grow a rough camp into a real town.
Spencer Hot Springs consists of a series of pools, each one conveniently separated by enough landscape to provide privacy. The best may be the stone-lined pool on a rise with a commanding view of the Big Smokey Valley, the Toiyabe Range to the west and the Toquima Range to the east.
A collection of navigable 360° panoramas created by Howard Goldbaum, a professor at the Reynolds School of Journalism at the University of Nevada, Reno. Please join us as we travel all around the Silver State in virtual reality. Flash required.