The ruins of the United Comstock Merger Mill at American Flat were demolished in late 2014. The virtual-reality tour of this vanished corner of Comstock history was photographed from August to December of 2014.
Archive for 'Comstock'
The Virginia & Truckee Railroad excursion train stops at Gold Hill to allow passengers to take in the scenery prior to the continuation of the trip.
The Gold Hill Depot of the V&T Railroad was completed in September 1869. The station served passengers and freight, and was also a telegraph station. In 1938 the locomotive Reno pulled the last V&T train out of Virginia City and Gold Hill.
This headframe once served the Combination Shaft of the Chollar-Potosi/Savage/Hale & Norcross Mines beginning in 1875. With a depth of 3,250 feet, this was the deepest shaft of the Comstock.
Water was first brought to the Comstock by natural springs and wells nearby. Usually, however, by autumn the water supply became insufficient. An audacious solution was proposed: to bring water from the ample snow-melt sources high up in the Sierras across the Washoe Valley.
The V&T Railroad began in 1868, just as the Central Pacific was completed to nearby Reno. The route was abandoned in 1950, with much of its rails pulled up and sold, along with the remaining locomotives and railcars. Then, in 1976, the V & T was brought back to life.
During the height of the Comstock, this cemetery served the burial needs for Virginia City’s thriving Jewish community. When the city’s population began to shrink, the cemeteries, including the Hebrew cemetery, fell into disrepair.
Once the rolling home of eccentric writers Lucius Beebe and his partner Charles Clegg, the Virginia City railcar began its life in 1928 as the Pullman car Crystal Peak.
Treasury architect Alfred Mullett designed the U.S. Mint in Carson City, which opened in 1869. The Mint building reopened as the Nevada State Museum in October 1941.
The Bucket of Blood, with its live music, authentic bar, and elaborate decor, is frequently voted the best rural saloon in Nevada. It is an excellent example of a business founded in the 1930s that evolved in response to growing tourism.
Established in Genoa in 1858, the Territorial Enterprise was to become one of the most important newspapers in the early American West, with its reporters counted among the best journalists (and liars) in the country.
The Werrin Building stands on the south end of Virginia City’s main street and dates to 1873. John Werrin was a grocer from Cornwall, and his business stood on the edge of what was a Cornish neighborhood.
The locomotive Inyo was built in 1875 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia for the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. It is one of the oldest original locomotives in North America still in operable condition.
The Washoe Club dates to the early 1860s. It was a high class “two-bit bar,” where a glass of whiskey or a cigar cost twenty-five cents. As one of the finer saloons, the Washoe Club’s furnishings, including the bar and tin ceiling, were among the most elegant on the Comstock.
John Piper arrived in Virginia City in 1860 and opened the Old Corner Bar on this site. In 1867 he acquired Maguire’s Opera House, two blocks east. When that building was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1875, Piper built a new opera house next to his bar.
During excavations at the sites of the Boston Bar and Piper’s Old Corner Bar, archaeologists recovered many different artifacts of old Virginia City. Here are six of them in virtual reality.
Proclaiming itself “Nevada’s Oldest Hotel, the hostelry dates to the early 1860s and features a great room with hand-sawn ceiling boards.
The Episcopal Church in Virginia City was built in 1876 to replace an earlier church that had burned down a year earlier.
Known as the Mackay Mansion, this 1860s era home was actually built for the superintendent of the Gould and Curry Mine. John Mackay later bought the mine and the building.
The Virginal City cemetery of today appears nothing like it did during the bonanza years of the Comstock. It was once a lush parkland, composed of more than a dozen different burial grounds.
When gushing hot water threatened the production of the ever-deepening Virginia City mines, bonanza-era entrepreneur Adolph Sutro offered an audacious solution. He would build a tunnel from Dayton up to the Comstock’s mines.
Virginia City’s Fourth Ward School opened in 1877. The Fourth Ward was the largest and most advanced of several schools in the district. It is also the only one to survive.
With its riches first located in1859, the Chollar Mine (later the Chollar-Potosi) was one of the leading producers on the Comstock. Over the next 80 years, miners blasted and carted out some $17 million in gold and silver.
St. Mary’s in the Mountains Catholic Church in Virginia City was rebuilt after the great fire of 1875. The interior features redwood columns and gothic rafters, original alters, pews, and confession box.