Much folklore and ghost-lore enliven this grand dame of Elko, built in 1869. The Commercial is also the home of what may be the world’s largest dead polar bear, White King.
Archive for 'Elko'
The old Lamoille Schoolhouse served the children of the area from 1923 until the school district was abolished in 1961.
What the Silver Dollar Club has going for it, according to one online review, is that “drinks are awesome and cheap!”
The Northeastern Nevada Museum’s Wanamaker Wildlife Wing contains Nevada’s largest collection of wild animals from around the world.
South of Elko, just east of the small community of Lamoille, the Gallagher Ranch has the majestic Ruby Mountains overlooking it.
The Pioneer Building at 501 Railroad Street in Elko is now the headquarters of the Western Folklife Center. Completed in 1912-1913, the current building was the largest retail and office building in Elko at that time.
Established in 1905, the First Presbyterian Church of Lamoille was in decline thirty years later. By the mid 1950s, attendance dwindling, the Nevada Presbytery dissolved the congregation.
Pete and Mathilde Jauregui built Elko’s Star Hotel at 246 Silver Street in 1910. The Jaureguis operated the Star from 1910 through 1929. The Star is Elko’s solitary remaining ostatu (lodging).
Glacier-sculpted Lamoille Canyon is the largest valley in Elko County’s Ruby Mountains. Approximately 12 miles long, the canyon is only twenty minutes from Elko on Lamoille Canyon Road.
The original Elko County Courthouse was built in 1869 for $20,000. After its completion, the county commissioners refused to pay the builder an additional $240 for the locks in the building. The present building was built in 1910 and sits on the site of its predecessor.